APC primary: We’ve appealed ruling on statutory delegates, says Adamu

Despite the court ruling that statutory delegates were qualified to participate in congresses and conventions of political parties, the leadership of the All Progressives Congress has announced that statutory delegates won’t participate in the June 6 primary of the party.

The National Chairman of the party, Abdullahi Adamu, made the clarification at the APC secretariat on Saturday.

The development is coming in the wake of a court injunction, which ruled in favour of the inclusion of the delegates.

A Federal High Court sitting in Kano had ruled that statutory delegates were constitutionally qualified to take part in all meetings, congresses and conventions of any registered political party in Nigeria.

The suit challenging the disenfranchisement of statutory delegates from participating at the primaries was filed by three aggrieved aspirants of the party namely Senator Mas’ud El-Jibrin Doguwa, Habibu Sani and Bilyaminu Yusuf Shin’Kafi.

Delivering judgment on the suit on Friday, 3rd June, 2022, the presiding judge, Hon. Justice A.M Liman, held that, “Section 84(8) cannot be interpreted to have excluded statutory delegates from voting at the convention, congress or meeting, by virtue of Section 223 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended) and Article 20(iv)(c) of the All Progressive Congress (APC) Constitution, which allow Statutory Delegation to vote at convention, congress or meeting.”


A defiant Adamu, however, stood his ground on Saturday and insisted that no statutory delegate would participate at the convention.

He told our correspondent that as a law practitioner, he understood the interpretation well enough not to allow the delegates to take part at the primary.

“I am a lawyer; we have served notice of appeal and the matter is in the court and as far as we are concerned, this convention is concerned, statutory delegates are excluded,” he said.

(Punch)

Many killed in fresh Ondo church attack

Over 40 people have been reportedly killed in an attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owa-luwa Street, in Owo town, Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State, on Sunday.

It was learnt that the incident happened in the church during mass, which is less than 200 meters away from the Palace of Olowo of Owo.

Workers at the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, confirmed that many people were brought in dead on Sunday.

A viral online video showed some worshippers being killed and lying on the floor of the church in the pool of their own blood.

One of the health workers on duty at the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, where the casualties were taken to said over 50 people had been brought to the hospital.

He said, “They are still bringing people to the hospital, some have been confirmed dead while some are still breathing. But for now, I can’t specify the number of those dead.”

A source in the palace told our correspondent that there is tension and panic in the area.

He said, “The church that was attacked was at the back of the palace and we are still wondering how gunmen could carry out such an attack at the centre of the town. This is unbelievable. Kabiyesi will soon issue a statement on the incident.”

Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, said the command was yet to ascertain the cause of the incident.

“The CP (Commissioner of Police) is on his way to the scene to ascertain the cause of the incident. We have been hearing so many things about it but I will get back to you.”

(Punch)