MJTF troops rescue 8 children from terrorists’ enclave

Troops of Sector 2 of the Multinational Joint Task force (MJTF) in Republic of Chad have rescued 12 people, including eight children, held captive by Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists, after they laid ambush against the insurgents near Barkalam, an area along Lake Chad near the Nigerian border.

During the operation three canoes belonging to the terrorists were capsized, which led to the death and arrest of some ISWAP fighters and injuries of others, according to Col. Mohammed Dole, spokesperson of MJTF, in a statement.

“In line with its policy of safe transfer of surrendered insurgents and rescued hostages, the Headquarters, MNJTF used helicopter to facilitate their movement from Baga Sola to N’Djamena Chad,” Dole said.

He said the Chadian Chief of Defense Staff (CDS), Lt. Gen. Abakar Abdelkarim Daoud received the rescued persons at Air Force Base, and reiterated the  “absolute commitment and determination of the National and MNJTF forces to combat the menace of the terrorists in the Lake Chad Basin.”

Dole said the military had  transported the rescued hostages to a military medical facility for medical attention, thereafter they would be reunited with their families.

ISWAP fighters ambush Borno gov’s convoy, kill 15 security personnel

Jihadist fighters linked to the Islamic State group on Friday killed 15 security personnel in an ambush on the convoy of the Borno State governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, three security said.

Sources told AFP that eight policemen, three soldiers and four members of a government-backed militia were killed in the attack on vehicles carrying Zulum near the town of Baga on the shores of Lake Chad.

The insurgents opened fire with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades as the convoy was passing through a village close to the headquarters of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), a military coalition of troops from Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon.


“The governor escaped unhurt but 15 security men on the convoy were killed in fierce battle with the terrorists”, one source said.

Zulum was on an assessment tour of Baga in preparation for the return of thousands of residents displaced from the town by the jihadists in 2014, the sources said.

The governor flew on a helicopter into the garrison town of Monguno, 60 kilometres (40 miles) away, and headed to Baga in a convoy under tight security, one of the sources said.

All three sources were talking on condition of anonymity.

The IS-affiliated Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) group maintains most of its camps on islands in Lake Chad and the region is known as a bastion for the jihadists.

The militant group has recently intensified attacks on military and civilian targets in the region.

In July Zulum’s convoy came under gun attack from ISWAP outside Baga, forcing him to cancel his trip to the town.

Last week the group killed a Nigerian army commander along with three soldiers in an ambush near the town of Damboa.

Civilians plying highway linking Monguno and the regional capital Maiduguri said the jihadists set up daily checkpoints, robbing, killing and abducting passengers.

The decade-long insurgency in northeast Nigeria has killed 36,000 people and forced over 2 million from their homes.

Most of the displaced have been housed into squalid camps where they depend on food handouts from international charities.

Local authorities have been encouraging the displaced to go back to the homes despite concern from aid agencies of the security risks to which the returnees would be exposed.

Last week Zulum said feeding the displaced was not financially sustainable, insisting the only option was for them to return and rebuild their homes and live a “dignified” life.

ISWAP splintered from the main Boko Haram group in 2016 and has gone on to be the dominant insurgent force in the region.

Strike will worsen the economic situation, govs tell NLC

THE thirty- six state governors under the aegis of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum, NGF have called on the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC to exercise caution in its planned nation wide strike and mass protest, warning that such an action if carried out, would worsen the deteriorating economic situation of the country brought by COVID-19 pandemic.

Rising from the 18th Teleconference Emergency Meeting, the governors have set up a seven member committee to brainstorm with the National Economic Council, NEC, the Nigeria Labour, NLC, major Stakeholders and other Nigerians to address the issue.

The Committee which is chaired by the Jigawa State governor, Badaru Abubakar, has governors Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa; Dapo Abiodun of Ogun; Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of Kwara; Muhammad Inuwa of Gombe; Okezie Victor Ikpeazu of Abia and Douye Diri of Bayelsa as members.

In a Communique signed at the end of the emergency meeting by the NGF Vice Chairman and Sokoto State governor, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, the forum resolved that the NGF Secretariat will provide relevant  support to the committee on the details  of the mechanism for deregulation put in place by the federal government.

The governors said that “On the call for a national strike action by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), the Forum believes that the labour unions should exercise  caution on the call  for a strike  action, noting  that  any strike action  will worsen the currently deteriorating economic situation of the country brought by the COVID-19 pandemic;

“While expressing concern over the call for a national strike action by the  Nigeria Labour  Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Forum members suggested  the  provision  of a cushioning arrangement to ameliorate the effect of subsidy removal.”

The Governors have also agreed to hold an Emergency NEC meeting as soon as the committee comes up with a common position on the deregulation of both the petroleum and power sectors and the ûgures laid bare for all to peruse and then take a common position.

At the meeting, the Governors also expressed serious concern over deductions from the Federation Allocation of the 774 local governments of the country to construct and equip healthcare centres in each local government area on behalf of the  Association of  Local  Government Areas of Nigeria (ALGON).

Consequently, the Forum constituted a committee made up of Ekiti State governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi as Chairman, with Governors David Umahi of Ebonyi; Simon Lalong of Plateau; Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano and Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya of Gombe as members to represent State and local governments on the matter.

Police probe alleged dehumanisation of hotel staff by ex-minister

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Mohammed Adamu, has called on members of the public, particularly the alleged victims and all interest groups in the ongoing police investigations into the case of dehumanizing treatment meted out to Signatious Hotel workers in Warri, Delta State, to remain calm as the police intensify efforts towards unravelling the circumstances surrounding the incident.
According to a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, the IGP has ordered the immediate commencement of investigations into the matter.

“The IGP, while noting that the Delta State Police Command has since commenced discrete investigations into the matter with appreciable progress made, assures that justice will prevail no matter whose ox is gored,” the statement read.


Four members of the staff of the hotel had been allegedly stripped off their clothes by the proprietor of the hotel, a former minister, over missing N5,000.

Protests from various quarters had trailed the development.

Meanwhile, two workers of the hotel have been arrested in connection with the matter.

The workers, who were arrested yesterday, were reportedly involved in the dehumanizing treatment unleashed on the four workers.

When contacted for comments, the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Hafiz Inuwa, confirmed the arrests.

Inuwa said: “It is true arrests were made based on the report we received. The law of this country is not a respecter of anybody, so our investigations are going to be total.”

Man United still desperate to sign Jadon Sancho

Manchester United’s decision to make a take it or leave it offer for Jadon Sancho shows just how desperate they are to add the talented attacker. Jadon Sancho has been a top Manchester United’s shopping list for the duration of the summer transfer window.

The Premier League club’s last-ditch attempt to sign the English starlet shows real desperation on behalf of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his managerial team.

According to The Daily Star, United are offering Borussia Dortmund £90 million to clinch a deal for the former Manchester City starlet. Dortmund officials have been adamant that Sancho would not be sold for less than £120 million this summer. 

The German club even imposed a deadline to sell their prized asset that passed several weeks ago.